TORONTO—The art piece that literally defines Toronto has fallen into disrepair. Installed at Nathan Phillips Square for the 2015 Pan American Games, the Toronto sign has become an iconic tourist destination. All that love has caused the cover on the letters to become scuffed and worn.
Below are some ideas city council came up with to generate the revenue needed to address repair and maintenance costs.
- Bake sale with leftovers from busted marijuana dispensaries
- Jian Ghomeshi dunk tank
- Repurpose all Luminato funding to a piece of art everyone can understand
- Sign improvement fee on all new craft brewery applications
- Sign improvement fee on all new indie coffee shop applications
- Sell coyote culling licenses
- Bachelor auction featuring city council members
- “Knish for Life” Lottery for reserved tables at the hottest Toronto brunch spots
- Peddle tickets to a Maple Leaf Square cage match between The Raptor and Carlton the Bear
- Raise TTC fares